Some people are iffy about fruit with meat.
I am not some people.
Sweet and savoury have always been in my culinary vocab. I practically grew up in a Chinese takeaway in Rotorua during the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. Back then, Dad and Uncle worked as chef owners and cooked a thousand sweet and sour pork dishes for their customers. Battered deep-fried pork smothered in a homemade sweet and sour sauce; this came with onions, capsicum and of course, pineapple. An instant classic. I grew up loving sweet and sour pork and I think many of you did too.
I enjoy cooking with natural sweet flavours and pork lends itself traditionally to fruit pairings, most commonly apple and pineapple but I found passionfruit also works beautifully.
This sweet and smoky pulled pork taco is inspired by Long White Vodka Passionfruit. With a light, tropical taste that’s not too sweet, Long White Vodka Passionfruit is my favourite of their three flavours. Containing no added table sugar, apple juice is used to give it just a little sweetness. A refreshing drop made in here New Zealand using all local ingredients: NZ sparkling water, triple distilled vodka, fruit juice and natural flavours. If you haven’t tried it yet, you can buy them at all liquor stores in 4 or 10 packs.
Passionfruit are in season until late winter but can be expensive so my recipe uses canned passionfruit pulp which you can find in the supermarket. If you have a passionfruit vine, please use fresh passionfruit pulp!
This gluten free and dairy free recipe takes 3 hours in the oven, leaving you free to do other things or simply relax. You’ll need a dutch oven for this recipe. We were gifted ours as an engagement present 10 years ago. Used at least once a week, it’s still going strong. It’s great for wintery recipes and perfect for recipes that require stovetop searing followed by oven time.
Assemble the tacos before serving or lay everything out on the dinner table and have your guests assemble their own. Perfect for easy winter entertaining.
Chipotle and passionfruit pulled pork
Gluten free and dairy free
- 1.5kg bone in pork shoulder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups passionfruit pulp (or 2 x 170g cans)
- 3 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
For the tacos: 16 warmed corn tortillas, 2 avocados, 2 limes, your choice of salad ingredients, micro-greens or coriander to garnish, and a bottle of chipotle sauce.
- Preheat oven to 160°C and adjust your oven rack to a low position in the oven.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully remove the pork skin* and most of the fat under the skin. Season pork all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat a dutch oven on the stove and add 1 tablespoon oil. Add pork and sear on all sides until brown (2-3 minutes per side).
- Strain the passionfruit into a bowl, using a spoon to push through everything but the seeds. Discard the seeds. Add all the other ingredients, mix well and pour on top of pork.
- Cover with lid and place in a 160°C oven for 3 hours. When the pork is cooked and fork tender, remove from oven. Using tongs, find and remove the bones. Using a ladle or spoon, skim off visible fat from the sauce (about half a cup) and then pull the meat apart with 2 forks or with tongs until shredded. Stir to combine the meat with sauce, taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Transfer to a serving dish (if you wish) and serve with taco ingredients. Twist open a Long White Vodka Passionfruit and enjoy.
* The pork skin can be turned into crackling. Delicious broken up and served in tacos or eaten as tasty bar snack with a refreshing drink.
Just score the skin side with a sharp knife, cut into batons, salt generously and roast skin up on a foil-lined tray for 20 minutes on a high rack in a 220°C oven. Remove the crackling to serve. Once the rendered fat has cooled and wrap up in the foil and throw away.
Win with Long White Vodka
Thanks to Long White Vodka, I am giving away a 12 piece contemporary stoneware dinnerware set and a 16 piece gold toned cutlery set valued over $250 so you can entertain your friends at home with effortless chic.
To enter, simply complete the entry form below including a skill question (answer can be found here).
This competition is now closed. See who won here by visiting the winner announcement post here.
Bunny Eats Design Easy Entertaining Promotion
Terms & Conditions
- Information on how to enter and gifts form part of these conditions of entry. Entry into the promotion is deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The promotion is open to New Zealand residents aged 18 years or over. Employees of the Promoter and any agency involved with this promotion, and the immediate families of such employees, are not eligible to enter.
- The promotion commences at 3pm on the 16 June 2016 and finishes at 11.59pm on the 28th July 2016 (‘Promotion Period’).
- To enter the promotion: Fill in the entry form in this post including a skill question.
- There is one prize to be won, consisting of a 12 piece Your Home and Garden Faro contemporary stoneware dinnerware set and a 16 piece Freedom Furniture Charm gold toned cutlery set valued over $250. The winner will be the first valid entry drawn at random from all eligible entries submitted. In the event that an ineligible entry is drawn or the Promoter is unable to contact a winner within 48 hours of the Prize draw, having made reasonable attempts to do so, the Promoter may deem that winner’s entry invalid and select a new winner on the same terms as the original Prize draw.
- 1 entry per person.
- The prize is not transferable, changeable or redeemable for cash.
- In the event that the prize or any part of it becomes unavailable for any reason beyond the Promoter’s control, the Promoter may in its sole discretion decide to provide an alternative prize.
- The Promoter reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of claims and determine the eligibility of entrants (including an entrant’s identity) and to disqualify any entry or refuse to award a prize where false or misleading details have been given by an entrant, or where an entrant has behaved in a fraudulent or dishonest manner, or otherwise than in accordance with these terms and conditions or the spirit of the promotion.
- Failure by the Promoter to enforce any of its rights at any stage does not constitute a waiver of those rights.
- All decisions made by the Promoter its employees or agents are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The Promoter may amend, suspend or cancel any aspect of the promotion (including any prize) at any time in its sole discretion.
- Neither the Promoter nor any other entity associated with this competition will be responsible for any late, lost, misdirected or incorrectly submitted entries, including but not limited to entries not received due to technical problems or human error. The time entries are deemed to be made will be the time the entry is received, not the time the entry is submitted by an entrant.
- The Promoter reserves the right to disallow entries in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons.
- By entering this Promotion, entrants agree to the use of their names, photographs and likeness for promotional/advertising purposes, and agree to make themselves reasonably available for this purpose. The ensuing copyright will rest with the Promoter, without any claim to compensation from the entrants.
- All competition entries become the property and copyright of the Promoter. By entering this promotion, entrants assign copyright in their entry to the Promoter.
- The winners acknowledge and agree that they will comply with all instructions given by employees of the Promoter and other agencies associated with this promotion, and agree not to do anything that may bring the Promoter into disrepute.
- The winners agree that as a condition of their participation in the prize, they may be required to execute a waiver and indemnity in the form provided by the Promoter.
- If a winner cannot accept the prize for any reason, their prize will be void and no compensation will be payable.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, the Promoter (including its officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, licensees, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies), excludes all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), whether direct, indirect, special or consequential, arising in any way out of the Promotion, including, but not limited to, where attributable to any of the following: (a) any technical difficulties or equipment malfunction (whether or not under the Promoter’s control); (b) any theft, unauthorized access or third party interference; (c) any entry or prize claim that is late, lost, altered, damaged or misdirected ; (d) any variation in the prize; (e) any tax liability incurred by a claimant or entrant; or (f) use of a prize.
- The Promoter collects and holds personal information provided by entrants for the purposes of this promotion and for future promotional purposes. Failure to provide requested personal information may disqualify a person from being able to receive a prize. All personal information provided by entrants will be held by the Promoter. Under the Privacy Act 1993, entrants have the right to access and correct any such personal information. Entrants may access and request correction of any of the details about them held by the Promoter by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Promoter is Genie De Wit, Bunny Eats Design, bunnyeatsdesign.com