I had all the ingredients for dumplings but I didn’t really feel like wrapping them. So I made these naked dumplings instead. What makes these different to meatballs? Well, they have pork, prawns, ginger and shitakke mushrooms in them, so they’re dumplings!
Naked Little Dumplings
200grams pork mince
100grams raw, frozen, shelled prawns
4 dried shitakke mushrooms
1 spring onion
1 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon applesauce
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
Serve with rice, vegetables and coconut cream.
Preparation of naked dumplings
- Thaw prawns in water and chop each prawn into 3 pieces.
- Boil mushrooms for a minute and drain. Cut off the hard stem and chop the mushrooms finely.
- Add all the ingredients except for the oil to a mixing bowl and mix, mix, mix.
- Add a little oil to a non stick frying pan.
- Using wet hands, measure out a tablespoon of mixture and roll into a ball.
- Add to the frying pan.
- Repeat until the mixture is all used up (about 10 dumplings).
- Turn on your frying pan and fry until brown. Carefully turn each dumpling and fry second side until brown.
- Add vegetables (I used carrots, broccoli) around the edge of the pan, drizzle a bit more sweet chili sauce and then add half a can of coconut cream.
- Turn heat down low and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes making sure that the liquid doesn’t get completely absorbed (or it may burn). If it looks a bit dry, add more coconut cream.
- Serve with rice for dinner or you could serve these up as a fancy snack I suppose.