This is one of those dishes I made up a long time ago by putting together a whole lot of delcious ingredients and hoping for the best. I mean, bacon, chicken, mushroom, garlic, cream…how could this possibly go bad?
I used to make this without bacon or capers, so you can use these or leave out. This recipe is enough for 2 servings.
What I like about this dish is that you can prep for it before guests arrive, then pop it in the oven when they get to your house. Then it’s only 30 minutes until dinner and you can entertain rather than fluffing around in the kitchen.
Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast…Wrapped in Bacon
1 large chicken breast
2 pieces of streaky bacon
2 brown mushrooms
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon herbs
1/4 cup of cream
1 teaspoon of capers
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Slice the mushrooms, finely chop the garlic and put into a bowl.
- Add the capers, breadcrumbs, herbs, salt, pepper and cream. The mixture should be the consistency of dough. If it is too dry, add some more cream.
- Cut the chicken breast in half so that the 2 pieces are square/roundish. Carefully cut a slit into each of these so that there is pocket for the stuffing.
- Lay the chicken on a little oil on an oven proof dish.
- Spoon and pack the mixture into the chicken. Really stuff them!
- Wrap each piece of stuffed chicken with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 200°C.
Serve with potatoes and salad.