I’m sitting on a $10,000 couch carefully eating candy floss and ice cream. My hands are undeniably sticky and I wonder if I will get into trouble. Nearby, an opera diva sings in a language I don’t recognise and a grand pianist accompanies her. I’m tipsy, but I’m not hallucinating. No, it’s not a dream, it’s one of my fondest memories of Urbis Design Day. An Auckland showcase of local showrooms, fashion and design industry stars. There’s only 3 more sleeps until Urbis Design Day graces our city again.
This year’s collaborators are:
- Halo NZ and Trelise Cooper Interiors
- design denmark / Sylvia Sanford
- Häfele / Esther Diamond
- Poggenpohl / Make Something
- Automation Associates / Matter
- ECC / Scrap Wall
- Antipodes Design Store / Luxaflex / Taylor Boutique
- Kohler / Salasai
- Essenze / NZ Design Collective (Te Rongo Kirkwood, David Trubridge, Anzac Tasker, Peter Collis and Brogen Avril)
- Furniture Lab / Dulux / We Love Inc
- Fisher & Paykel / The Alt Group
- Media Design School / HP Future Designers at MINI Garage
- Designer Rugs / Corporate Culture / Nathan Goldsworthy curating the Kiwi Icons rug range from (Dick Frizzell, Boh Runga, Kevin Roberts, Zambesi, Max Gimblett, Kate Sylvester and Codi Design)
A few years ago, Urbis Design Day was the basis for my hen’s party. What an amazing day it was zipping around the city with my girlfriends. I tried my very first Bluff oysters that year at the Huffer / Poggenpol installation.
I remember a time when this event was free and the transport were 40 brand new BMWs provided by Jerry Clayton. Zipping around town in style as we drank as much champagne and cocktails as we pleased. The last few years the rides have been downgraded to taxi vans and the ticket prices have soared to $30 each. It’s still worth your time though and if you like design, fashion, art, nibbles and booze, then come along this Saturday 10am to 5pm. You will want to see every installation so make sure you keep a steady pace to avoid the day finishing before you reach your first stop. Wear comfortable shoes and pack light.
Tickets available on the day at DesignDay HQ, Mini Garage, 130 Ponsonby Road.
p.s. I am in no way affiliated to Urbis Design Day. I’m just a avid fan.