Summer’s here. It’s really here.
There’s so many things to love about summer and it seems that the weather naturally puts people in a great mood. The start of summer in Auckland is lovely – before it gets too humid. I love the late sunsets, coming home in the afternoon and enjoying a drink on the deck, summer festivals, late nights, camping, baches, local beach missions after work, weekend further afield beach adventures…It’s not quite warm enough to swim yet, but give it a couple of weeks. I have been caught off-guard by the fierce sun already. One afternoon in the sun a week ago and my shoulders are peeling.
No doubt there will be many feasts over the summer with outdoor barbecues, picnics as well as Christmas parties galore. We’ve got company Christmas party to look forward tonight complete with Christmas buffet and 2 hour comedy show. I think it’s nice to get Christmas parties done early and out of the way. No doubt we will be invited to other Christmas parties and events this month.
This summer’s list includes lots of things I love eating, but have never tried to make. I eat sushi once a week and I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never tried to make sushi. I’ve never used rhubarb before and seeing it start to pop up on other local blogs has inspired me to try and do something with it this summer.
Summer To Do List:
- Have a picnic at the beach
- Grow mint and make mojitos
- Go strawberry picking
- Prepare Ika Mata (Cook Islands raw fish)
- Make an edible gift for Christmas
- Roll sushi
- Brew ice lemon tea
- Make ice cream
- Cook ribs
- Do something with rhubarb
About the list
The aim the list is to tend to my growing edge. Your growing edge is the part of you that is still learning, trying new things and experimenting. It’s the area of your life that you are improving and working on. It’s often too easy to keep cooking your favourite tried and true dishes and while there’s nothing wrong with that, I feel like there’s so many delicious things to eat and and so little time so I need to push forward to get anywhere. I started writing a seasonal list this winter (mid 2011) and you can read my winter summary here and my spring list and summary here and here.
1. we could incorporate this into my birthday but this will definitely happen as there will be lots of beach time as well as eating 😀
2. how long does it take to grow mint? I have a bottle of bicardi.
3. already been searching for places…great minds think alike.
4. I can help you with this one and maybe you could add this one to the ‘deal with a freshly caught fish’.
5.lets make xmas cakes!
6. I have a sushi set if you want to borrow it.
7. yes please!
8. I’ve been trying for months to get mark to make banoffe pie icecream…will you consider making it?
see you lots over summer bunny eats design xxpx
lol Aimee! I love that you replied to everything on my list. Yay, I’m glad you’re on board this list. I could buy mint seedlings this time (or borrow L’s mint) as my seeds didn’t sprout this time round. Banoffe pie ice cream sounds amazing! Let’s do it! What about Oreo cheesecake ice cream? Too crazy? Oh Oh I just thought of another list mash up…Mojito ice cream….rhubarb crumble ice cream. Oh boy.