Urbis Designday is back and it’s on all around Auckland city tomorrow. Online ticket sales end tonight but if you still miss out, you can get door sales tomorrow morning at Mini Garage, Ponsonby Road. General tickets are $30 each or if you bring a buddy, it’s $50 for two. There’s a big group of us going this year and I can’t think of a more worthwhile all encompassing event.
This year, Urbis Designday is in it’s 7th year and I think I must have been to 4 or 5 Urbis Designdays already. Yep, I guess I’m a Designday groupie. I had a great time last year and I’m excited about this year’s event. Still haven’t made up your mind? You can view my photos from last year and read a write up of the event here.
Urbis Designday encompasses many facets of design including architecture, fashion, photographic, graphic, spatial, product and one of my favourites: food! This year’s theme is Colour in Motion and I’m looking forward to to seeing how the collaborators work it out among them. Last year’s Dulux paint Rube Goldberg machine would have been perfect for this year’s theme. Or maybe too obvious?
The designer and showroom pairings for 2012 include:
- Design 55 + World and Reuben Paterson
- ECC Lighting & Furniture + Zambesi and Auckland War Memorial Museum
- BoConcept + Leeann Yare and Huffer
- Spazio Casa + the team at M.A.C Cosmetics (with Amber D.)
- Essenze + Rachael Lovelace
- Coastal Design + Kathryn Wilson and Touch of Spice
- Resene + Kohler Design Centre + Art Associates
- Fisher & Paykel + Alt Group
- Hewlett Packard + Unitec
- Hafele + Xanthe White
- Douglas & Bec + Workroom Design
- MINI New Zealand + Material Creative and Urbis (and Photobooth Fun)
See a video on Vimeo of last year’s event: Urbis Designday 2011
More information on this year’s event here.
Last year’s tips:
Urbis Designday 2011 Highlights:
- The Social Kitchen.
- Matter exhibit.
- Rube Goldberg paint machine.
Urbis Designday 2011 Tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Pack light take a small bag of essentials. Or no bag at all if you can. The Urbis bag you are given is sizeable and gets filled up throughout the day with all sorts of things.
- Pace yourself.
- Keep a steady pace. There are 12 sites to get through as well as the headquarters. If you start at 10 and finish at 5pm, that’s roughly half an hour at each place. We stayed a lot longer at some places so had to breeze others. There have been years when I haven’t finished the circuit only to be super disappointed that I’d missed out on the best one of the day.
- Keep your group fairly small. We started with lots of people, but as you are all going in 1 direction, it wasn’t a big deal to split forward from the group if you got bored with a place.
- Have breakfast before you start the day.
- Don’t drive in. There’s way too much free and delicious booze to imbibe.
p.s. I am in no way affiliated to Urbis Designday. I’m just a avid fan.