Winter is coming.
Over the last week, The Koala and I have hunkered down and watched three seasons of Game of Thrones. According to story, since we had a long and hot summer we will have a particularly long and cold winter. Joy.
The Koala’s job requires him to be on the road all day so he doesn’t have the luxury of a microwave or fridge. Last summer, I bought a nifty warmer/refrigerator to take with him on the road. Because of this, I have been able to send him to work with hot lunches. It’s getting chilly now and leftovers have become a welcome part of our work day. I can tick off one of my bucket list items. Woo!
I used to buy my lunch but now I bring leftovers and we have so many leftovers I can barely keep up. Not a bad problem to have. I’ve had to put more than one meal in the freezer to enjoy another time. One day I’ll remember there’s a couple of roast drumsticks and baby potatoes that need nuking.
Foodbox Menu 3
Items in bold or italic are from our Foodbox or vegetable garden.
- Roast chicken drumsticks, baby potatoes (drowned in butter and herbs sauce). Red cabbage, broccoli, lime and mayo slaw
- Slow cooked corned beef with baby red potatoes and red cabbage. Served with The Koala’s mustard sauce
- Corned beef, mustard sauce, cheese and pickle sandwiches
- Bangers and mash with broccoli and cheese sauce
- Steak and sauteed red cabbage. Chickpea salad (tomato, onion, broccoli) and baby potatoes
- Chorizo and prawn rice (see tomorrow’s post for my recipe)
- Potato salad with chorizo, pickles and soft boiled eggs
- Kumara and ham bone (slow cooker) soup with garlic butter toast
- Porridge with maple syrup and sliced banana
- Pancakes with banana, melted chocolate and berry syrup.
- Buttery pan-fried mushrooms with poached eggs on toast
- Tomato, basil and parmesan scones (biscuits)
- Wagon wheel pasta salad with ham and vegetables (whatever is left)
We’re headed out of town for a few days so not as many meals as usual. Fingers crossed we still eat everything in the box.