In celebration of Auckland Restaurant Month, I will be posting 31 quick-fire reviews on 31 restaurants and cafes in the Auckland CBD and city fringe.
The atmosphere is…
A warm, honey interior with interesting architecture, several open kitchen areas and bar. Gets busy fast. There has been a lot of hype about Masu so understandably the place is humming.
Come here for…
- 2014 Metro Magazine Restaurant of the Year Supreme Winner
- 2014 Metro Magazine Best New Restaurant
- 2014 Metro Magazine Best Smart Dining
- 2014 Metro Magazine Best Drinks List Finalist
- 2014 Metro Magazine Best Chef Finalist
The most interesting thing on the menu…
- o-toro (fatty tuna)
- ise ebi no taco (crayfish, spicy miso taco)
- 100% japanese black wagyu beef sirloin – $100 per 150 grams
- Master stock baby back pork ribs, cashew nut, sancho salt.
- Tiger Tanaka – ginger-infused shochu, salted lychee and fresh ruby grapefruit, softened with sparkling sake.
I would come back to try…
- More cocktails.
Japanese food lovers. Find diners. There is a dedicated gluten-free menu. Not many vegetarian options but there might be enough vegetarian dishes there to put together a meal.
Expect to spend…
$60-$100 per person
The service is…
A touch snobby at times, but generally very good.
You do not like Japanese food or are on a budget. There are cheaper and some might argue better Japanese (and fusion) places to eat.
Auckland Restaurant Month special:
$55 FOR THREE COURSES
Includes a spicy tuna tempura roll and iceberg salad to start, with main choice of Baby back pork ribs or Gurnard fillet, with sesame elderflower pannacotta to finish.
90 Federal Street, Auckland CBD
Open 7 days