Two months ago, The Honesty Box announced they would no longer be offering their home delivery service. The Honesty Box was my jams. We got their small fruit and vege box regularly, but they wanted to focus on their commercial service. Our little run was over. It was a little bit like, “It’s not you, it’s me”.I wish them all the best, focusing is a good thing. But now I had to find a replacement.
The Honesty Box was really carefully planned out. They shop better than I do, which is why I loved their boxes. There were big shoes to fill.
Over the last couple of months (since the breakup), I’ve been a fruit and vege philanderer. I did a stint a couple of years ago where I tested out a bunch of different fruit and vege delivery services. It was sort of like that but way more casual. I’ve flirted with Ooooby, engaged in a little tonsil hockey with Naturally Organics and then I started another affair with Foodbox.
Since I last fooled around with Foodbox (It’s been two years) they have fine tuned their service. Their boxes aren’t as good as The Honesty Box, but they’re getting there. If they would add garlic and herbs to their boxes, I’d be happy.
An exciting development is that Foodbox have recently paired up with Neat Meat, one of the premium meat companies around. I remember when Neat Meat were just starting up, we did a bit of print work for them back then. Their branding has changed a lot since then, I wish had been along for the ride. Now days they are a slick, well branded machine, offering restaurant quality meat with both organic and free range options.
Over the last two weeks, we have eaten our way through two of Foodbox’s Appetiser ($33) and two of Neat Meat’s Couples Essential ($65).
The selection of meat is perfect for us. There are 5 types of meat in the Couple’s Essential and some of the portions are enough for dinner for two plus smaller leftovers the next day. In two weeks, we have enjoyed a range of meats such as bacon, chicken, mince, steak, sausages, pork and lamb.
Boxes can be personalised. For example, if you don’t eat lamb or lettuce, you can note this in your order. We also added a dozen free range eggs. Yum!
- Tasty vine ripened tomatoes
- Tender young asparagus
- Perfect strawberries
- Harmony Organic beef and bacon sausages (gluten & dairy free)
- Extra plump free-range chicken
- Bacon every week! Yeah boi!
This fortnight we’ve been eating…
- Roast chicken, potatoes, zucchini, onion and garlic
- Chicken salad with crunchy bean combo, cucumber, spinach, tomato
- Bacon and egg pie with onion
- Pork stir fry with snow peas and mixed vege on rice
- Potato and leek soup with cheesy herb ciabatta
- Steak with butter roasted asparagus and duck fat potatoes
- Bangers and mash with roasted vine tomatoes and capsicum
- Prawn, smoked salmon and baby spinach pasta
- Caesar salad with bacon, boiled eggs, lettuce, baby spinach and parmesan shavings
- Steamed mince with shiitake served with steamed broccoli and rice
- Vanilla hazelnut cereal with greek yogurt and fresh strawberries
- Chicken nugget wraps with lettuce, avocado, mayo and hot sauce
- Home made hash browns with poached eggs and bacon
- Teriyaki chicken with rice, sauteed greens and miso soup
I’m pretty happy with the service at Foodbox. Great for those busy weeks when you can’t be bothered shopping but you still want to eat well.
If you would like to find out more about Foodbox, check out their website here.