The Koala and I have just come home from a long weekend at a sweet house by the beach celebrating my sister and her boyfriend’s birthdays. It was wonderful to hang out with them and a group of their best friends. Being married and with a tight group of my own friends, I don’t meet new faces often. I’m an introvert but it’s great to get out of your comfort zone. New experiences encourage growth.
Over the long weekend, Elise over at The Confetti Room proposed a Year of Firsts tag, where bloggers write a list of 20-30 firsts they want to experience this year and blog about them.
I was lucky to sit next to Elise at the recent #brunchclub Auckland event and within 10 minutes of meeting, we discovered we went to the same primary school in Rotorua. It’s funny to wonder if our paths may crossed over 20 years ago. Serendipitous!
I am all about bucket lists and new challenges. Especially food related ones. Two years ago, I started the link up party Our Growing Edge to challenge fellow bloggers to experience new food adventures every month. Being mostly a food blog, some of my proposed firsts are food related and some are not. Some are resolution-ish and I’ve thought about all of these over the last few months.
My Year of Firsts:
- Design or write a cook book
- Master the art of charcoal barbecue
- Smoke a fish
- Cook a full size octopus
- Shuck an oyster
- Participate in a progressive dinner
- Go to Art Dego
- Visit a city I’ve never been to and eat their iconic dish
- Add “Photographer” to my skillset
- Create a portfolio of my photography
- Do food styling for someone else
- Take a photo of myself that I am happy with. I tried.
- Visit waterfalls
- Save half my earnings
- Donate (time or money) to worthy causes
- Go to a blogger’s meetup
- Collaborate with other bloggers
- Create a media kit
- Step out of my comfort zone…
- …But be happy to say “no”.
Bloggers participating in Year of Firsts tag:
- The Confetti Room
- How Do You Do 22
- Ben Evans
- Dani Pohlod
- Organic Ash
- Elese, Aesthete
- Emma Louisa
- The Kid Bucket List
- Amber In Wonderland
- Looking For Mama Me
- How Do You Do 22
- A Ticket To Paris
- Montage Madness in a Paintbox
If you have a blog and would like to participate in Year of Firsts tag, just leave a comment below.
- Make a list of 20 – 30 ‘firsts’ you want to experience this year.
- Document those experiences by taking photos and blogging about them, linking back to your list.