With my skin still in the wars and a list of things NOT to eat, I decided to eat foods I should include. Most of the stuff I read about eczema is about stuff to avoid, but finding foods to eat is much more fun. I really enjoy cooking from a list of superfoods that I keep stored in my memory and more so when they’re delicious superfoods. There are a few foods out there that are good for your skin. These include salmon, avocado, olive oil and pinenuts (in pesto) which are all in this recipe. With half a bag left of orzo, I made this delicious salad for super skin. For those not on a restricted diet, some halved cherry tomatoes would be a lovely addition. Add some parsley too and hey look! You got yourself a red and green festive looking dish just in time for Christmas. Is this health food? Maybe. Does it work on eczema and other skin problems? I don’t know. Would I eat it regardless? Yes.
Orzo Salad with smoked salmon, pesto and avocado
Makes a big bowl enough for 4 lunches or maybe 2 dinners with some leftovers. Ingredients 250g orzo (risoni) 2 litres water (for cooking pasta) 200g smoked salmon 100g basil pesto 1 avocado Salt and pepper to taste Preparation
- In a large pot, bring 2 litres of water to the boil. Add a teaspoon of salt and the orzo. Boil for 7 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain well.
- Using a fork, gently flake the salmon, removing any bones and discard the skin.
- Transfer salmon flakes and cooked orzo into a large bowl (preferably one with a lid).
- Cut avocado in half, remove stone and cut flesh into small chunks. Add to bowl.
- Add pesto and combine all ingredients.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper. Taste some more.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Ciao, just popped by to wish you the best for the holiday Season!