I’m having fun writing a weekly menu and we generally stick to the plan. I admit I may be a bit ambitious when writing it. I also don’t think it helps to write a meal plan on an empty stomach!
I came home with a few yummy things from The Food Show including 2kg of Southland Queen Scallops and 4 kinds of cheese! Still, this week, our pantry reserves are getting low and we haven’t been to the supermarket in a while so we’ll have to pick up a few things.
This week our CSA box included:
- Newstead Gold Apples
- Gold Kiwifruit
- Winter Nelis Pears
…and a loaf of ciabatta.
Meal Plan Week 5
- Cauliflower*and potato* soup topped with with bacon and sour cream. Served with ciabatta* garlic* toast
- Individual cottage pies with carrots*, peas and mushrooms*, topped with cheesy golden mash
- Queen scallops and spinach* pasta, tossed with butter and served with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and a lemon* wedge
- Cheese fondue with ciabatta*, baguette, carrot, broccoli and tortellini
- Chocolate fondue with apple*, kiwifruit*, pear*, mandarin, banana and marshmallows
- Pizza with pepperoni, mushroom*, spinach*, black olives, and capers
- Roast pork with apple and garlic* served with carrots*broccoli and mashed celeriac
- Poached pear* with Hakanoa Ginger Syrup, red wine, cinnamon, cloves, lemon*, and vanilla bean
- Buttery mushrooms* with poached eggs on toast
- Orzo with smoked chicken, caramalised carrots* and black olives
We love scallops Genie. I am not really sure what a cottage pie is.
To me, a Cottage Pie is a Shepherd’s pie using beef instead of lamb. But I believe that these days Shepherd’s Pie may also refer to beef pies and Cottage Pies may also refer to lamb pies.
That’s what I heard too! Because it’s really hard to herd cattle up scrubby hills. Best to let them graze outside your cottage 🙂
Yummy 🙂 I LOVE cottage pies. And making them into individual servings makes it easier to control cravings. Great idea! Is there a recipe I can reference? I would love to try them.
I know what you mean about over eating on cottage pie. I usually make enough for a family even though there is only 2 of us and we’ll have seconds and maybe even thirds. No one needs that much pie. Want is a different matter.
To be honest, I just eyeball it and taste as I go.
Basic recipe: In a hot pan brown enough beef mince for 2 people in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2 sliced mushrooms, 1 grated carrot and 2 cloves of garlic, diced onion optional (we ran out of onions). Add a dollop of tomato paste, a tablespoon of flour and a measure of soy sauce and of worcestershire sauce. Taste and season to your preference. Cook down until it looks and tastes right. Transfer into 2 large ramekins. Add a handful of thawed peas, a layer of mashed potato and top with grated cheese. Bake in a hot oven until you cannot bear waiting any longer.
yum! thanks for sharing 🙂 Can’t wait to enjoy it!
Looks great! I usually make one big cottage pie, but I love the idea of individual ones. I have this idea that it helps with portion control . . . but then again, I usually have 2-3 individual anything . . . !
Love individual pies. I don’t have to share! hehe 🙂