Day 2 Menu
- 1 soft boiled egg on 2 slices of toast
- Satay Vegetables on rice with broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, garlic and ginger
- Chicken soup (Chinese style) with a bowl of rice
Day 2 of the Live Below The Line challenge was much easier than yesterday. I’m going to blame yesterday’s fogginess on a lingering hangover. I felt a combination of sick, hungry or stoned all day. After a bowls of chicken congee, a nap, 2 more bowls of chicken congee and great night’s sleep I fixed myself and I got up early this morning for breakfast and to cook my lunch.
I cooked 3 cups of rice last night and was surprised that it made 5 generous portions. With 5 cups of rice for the week, I’m going to have more than enough rice to eat. Good thing I love rice!
This is the meal I made for lunch today and the amounts can easily be multiplied for more mouths. I haven’t worked out exactly how much this costs but it’s less than $1 per serve. I would totally eat this outside of the challenge.
Satay Vegetables on rice
5 pieces of broccoli or cauliflower
1/2 a carrot
2 cloves garlic
2 slices fresh ginger
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon peanut butter
About 1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Cooked rice for serving
- Chop broccoli/cauliflower and carrots to small pieces, finely chop garlic and cut ginger into matchsticks.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and when hot, add all vegetables. Fry for a few minutes until garlic has softened.
- Add peanut butter, soy sauce and water and combine to make a smooth sauce that coats all the vegetables. Salt to taste and serve on cooked rice.