New Orleans is right up there on my bucket list as a place to eat my way through. Every time anything remotely New Orleansy (is that a word?) comes my way, my ears prick up and I’m on high alert. Crawfish boil, shrimp, gumbo, jambalaya, deep fried beignet, po-boys, Oysters Rockefeller, red beans and rice. Yes please.
Director Benh Zeitlin and screen writer Lucy Alibar’s new film Beasts of the Southern Wild conjures up a magical fantasy world under chaos sometime in the not too distant future. Think Where The Wild Things Are and Pan’s Labyrinth meets New Orleans. Dubbed “the best movie about New Orleans ever” even though many claim that it isn’t about New Orleans at all, this hero tale is set in a fictional place called “The Bathtub”. No story accused of being about New Orleans would be complete without food references. This movie is going to be a good one.
Films for Foodies
Next month, as part of Rialto Cinema’s monthly Films for Foodies event at their Newmarket location, there will be a very special screening of Beasts of the Southern Wild. Tickets are $35 each and includes a glass of wine, nibbles and a foodie gift bag.
The Professional Bar & Restaurant School will be providing a taste of southern food.
5.30pm Arrival for wine and nibbles
6.15pm Movie screening
Competition – Closed
I have a double pass to give away, kindly donated by Rialto Cinemas so if you would like them, just answer this question: Name one place (real or imagined) that you would love to eat your way through…
Terms and Conditions
- One entry per person
- Valid email address must be supplied with entry and winner will be contacted by email
- Entries close Tuesday 23 October at midnight
- Winner drawn by random number generator on Wednesday 24 October 2012 and announced on this blog
- You must be able to attend the screening at 6.15pm (arriving 5.30pm for wine and nibbles) on Wednesday 14 November 2012 at Rialto Cinema, Newmarket, Auckland
- Prize not transferrable for cash
- You must be aged 18 and over to enter
- To be eligible, entries must fulfill the competition requirements
- Bunny Eats Design reserves the right to reject any entry if it does not meet the criteria above
- Email addresses collected in Bunny Eats Design competitions may be added to the Bunny Eats Design database. You may unsubscribe at any time