A delivery once a fortnight is perfect for our two person (plus one bunny) household. I’m glad we’re not getting these once a week. Possibly if we ate only fruit and vegetables, but we’re omnivores so the Tuesday box of goodies is only part of what we eat. I wouldn’t mind a little more fruit to get us through, but other than that, the vegetables are spot on. Because we only get the $33 Appetiser box, that makes it great value at $16.50 a week.
I’ve been slacking off in my vegetable garden lately due to the rain. I think my radishes, carrots and beetroot are suffering. Would it be considered crazy to poke clear umbrellas into the soil to shield them from the weather?
I’m getting the hang of planning for the two weeks at a time. The bonus is that we shop less than so I can spend more time cooking, writing, photographing, and dreaming up new projects (also eating, being wrapped in blankets, drinking wine, playing with a fat rabbit etc).
Our new secondhand oven is deranged, so baking is out of the question. After failing at baking repeatedly, I invested in an oven thermometer to confirm my suspicions. Now I’m not the best baker and I’m working on that but 3 hours to cook a roast was crazy. Fluctuating up to 100°C off course, when the dial says 260°C, it’s only at 160°C, but the top layer may burn. This means it’s all a crazy experimental and requires constant monitoring of the thermometer. Is this what cooking on a firepit is like?
Roasting is possible, though takes much longer and melting cheese is fine.
Still waiting on our landlord on the outcome.
Foodbox Menu 2
Items in bold or italic are from our Foodbox or vegetable garden.
- Sirloin steak with sweet stem broccoli, coleslaw, creamy mashed swede.
- Spiced meatballs and spaghetti in tomato sauce. Kale sauteed with olive oil and garlic.
- Egg foo young with prawn, sweet stem broccoli, mung bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, spring onion and coriander on rice.
- Smoked chicken penne with roasted cherry tomatoes and sauteed kale. Topped with parmigiano reggiano.
- Bœuf Bourguignon. (by special request)
- Corned beef with cabbage, potato, carrots, onion and mustard sauce.
- Corned beef hash with potatoes, onion, topped with smoked cheddar.
- Tortilla pizza with prawn or smoked chicken, cheddar, cherry tomatoes, basil and spinach leaves.
- Smoked ham and vegetable soup with grilled cheese sandwiches
- Slow cooked brown sugar beef with mashed potatoes and cabbage.
- Ham sandwiches with mung bean sprouts, spinach leaves, beetroot, smoked cheddar, pickles, mayo and mustard.
- Steak salad with spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, mung bean sprouts, fresh peas, basil and chick peas.
- Smoked chicken wraps with spinach leaves, basil and mayo.
- Corned beef sandwiches with spinach leaves, mustard sauce and pickles.
- Sausages, baked beans and eggs on toast.
- French toast with maple bacon and grilled banana.
- Omelette with ham, basil, sweet stem broccoli, cherry tomatoes and cheese.
I’ll be saving the soup for the final day as a failsafe to use up whatever is left before the next delivery. I’m sure there will also be plenty of leftovers eaten throughout the week.
This is a guide only. Whether we’ll make 17 meals over the next 2 weeks remains to be seen. It seems quite daunting laid out like that.
For a full list of our Foodbox contents, please see my previous post.