In celebration of Auckland Restaurant Month, I will be posting 31 quick-fire reviews on 31 restaurants and cafes in the Auckland CBD and city fringe.
The atmosphere is…
An expansive atrium that is brightly lit and surprisingly warm. A bit posh with bright coloured furniture and arty decor. What you might expect for an upmarket hotel restaurant.
Come here for…
Date night, special occasions, fine food and drink.
The most interesting thing on the menu…
- Welsh rarebit souffle with quail egg, caramelised onion, rye
- Roasted hapuka, spiced pumpkin, wild rice, yoghurt
- Roasted quail with butter milk, baby beetroot, puff grain, sour cherry
- The artistic, thoughtful desserts
- Both pink breast and tender confit in their duck dish
I would come back to try…
- The pre-show dinner ($45 for 2 courses and a glass of wine).
- The $35 lunch special which includes an entree, main and dessert served in one course and a glass of wine.
Limited menu catering to most appetites. No allergy info marked on menu. Only one vegetarian starter and one vegetarian main on offer. There are no vegetarian options on their special menus.
Expect to spend…
$45-$80 per person
The service is…
Wonderful. We spent a good 2 hours dining and never felt rushed. Water was topped up regularly and the pacing was excellent.
On a tight budget or you just want food to refuel.
Auckland Restaurant Month special:
$55 FOR TWO COURSES
Options include roasted quail with buttermilk, baby beetroot, puffed grains and sour cherries and roasted hapuka with spiced pumpkin, yogurt, wild rice and winter leaves.
Hotel DeBrett, 2 High Street, Auckland CBD
Open 7 days