This post was made possible thanks to Freshlife who have two summer hampers to give away.
Winners: Congratulations to Kate Rassie and Holly Jay P! You are the winners of the Freshlife Summer hampers.
November is my favourite month as it’s my birthday month. Each year, I use my birthday as an excuse to celebrate for at least 2 weeks. In my world, celebrating includes great food and great company. My social life really amps up this time of year, as I get ready for the summer season.
Sometime before Christmas are mandatory end-of-year catch ups, often over grazing platters and bottles of whatever you fancy. There will be cheese, crackers, fresh and dried fruit, nuts and various cold cuts. Having a few staples in your pantry is ideal and Freshlife nuts and dried fruit are great to have on hand for those occasions. Cooking at home over summer should be painless, delicious and not too harsh on the wallet.
A recipe to celebrate
Made with Freshlife’s pistachio kernels, dried cranberries and silver platter dried apricots, I was inspired by the festive colours of cranberries and pistachios and threw in apricots just because they play well with chicken. This tastes as good as it looks and with the festive season just around the corner, this is a winning recipe to tuck up your sleeve.
I’ve created this recipe to be easy enough for weeknights but fancy enough for weekend guests. Ready in 30 minutes, this recipe serves two hungry adults but can easily be doubled or tripled to serve more. Dished up on your favourite platter, taking these bad boys to your next potluck will be sure to impress. The sliced portions are great for appetites of different sizes and can be served hot or cold.
Keeping in season, I served these with roasted asparagus, roasted vine tomatoes, and baby potatoes. Just drizzle the asparagus and vine tomatoes with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then pop into the oven at the same time as the chicken. While everything is in the oven, boil some baby potatoes for 15 minutes, drain and toss with a little butter and fresh chopped mint. Everything will be ready at the same time. Alternatively, you can whip up a salad instead of the roasted veges for a lighter summer meal.
Celebration stuffed chicken breast
Makes 2 stuffed chicken breast halves (feeds 2 hungry adults)
- 2 tablespoons of FreshLife pistachio kernels, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of FreshLife sweetened, dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried FreshLife silver platter apricots, roughly chopped
- A handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 skinless free range chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- To make the filling, take a small bowl and add the chopped pistachios, cranberries, apricots, parsley and cream cheese. Mix with a spoon until well distributed.
- Pat dry the chicken breast and slice horizontally to create a large pocket in each breast. Season all over with salt and pepper, spoon half of the filling mixture into each breast. Secure with toothpicks to close.
- Place an ovenproof pan* on high heat and once hot, add 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Place stuffed chicken breasts in the pan and fry for 5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and place* in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, rest for a few minutes before removing toothpicks and slicing into 2cm thick rounds. Can be served hot or cold. If serving cold, leave unsliced, cool, cover and refrigerate. Remove all toothpicks and slice before serving.
- Serve with summer vegetables, baby potatoes and/or a green salad.
- *I used my cast iron pan but if you do not have one, use a regular frying pan and then transfer to an oven safe dish before placing the chicken into the oven.
Giveaway terms and conditions
- Open to New Zealand residents only.
- One entry per person.
- Entries close 6 December 2017 and two winners will be drawn 7 December 2017, contacted by email and announced here and on social media.
- In the event that the winner is not contactable within 3 days, Bunny Eats Design reserves the right to redraw a winner.
- Also, don’t forget to like the FreshLife page on Facebook.