Easy summer goodness. Did you ever notice that strawberries look like hearts? Make this for your Valentine why don’t ya?
Strawberry Pastries with Butterscotch Sauce
Butterscotch sauce ingredients
4 teaspoons sugar
4 teaspoons water
4 tablespoons palm sugar
4 tablespoons butter
A dash of milk
- In a small saucepan, simmer 4 teaspoons of sugar with 4 teaspoons of water.
- Add more water if it looks like it will burn.
- Stir for a few minutes until thick.
- Add palm sugar and stir until dissoved.
- Stir in butter and milk.
I promise you this stuff is hot.
DO NOT blow on the spoon and then lick the sauce. It will burn you. Molten sugar is hot like lava from the pits of hell. Trust me! I know!
Strawberry Pastries ingredients
1 sheet of puff pastry
A small punnet of strawberries (we ate some of the punnet already)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut a square sheet of puff pastry in half and put each half onto a grease baking sheet.
- Wash and remove tops of strawberries.
- Slice strawberries vertically and reserve 2 end pieces to shape into hearts for garnish.
- Heap strawberries onto 1 half of each pastry rectangle. Leave a 1.5cm border free on 3 edges for sealing the pastry later.
- Drizzle a little butterscotch on the strawberries and on the clear border as a glue.
- Fold pastry in half and use a fork all around to press the edges together.
- Top with the strawberry heart garnish.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve in shallow bowls and drizzle the remainder of the butterscotch sauce on top.
Give it a moment to cool and dig in.
We didn’t have ice cream or whipped cream, but they would be great to serve these with.