Who said you need an occasion to make 3 courses?
Starter: Calamari salad with avocado and lemon mayo.
Squid is pretty damn cheap. I got a kilo of frozen squid for $11. The squid you see on these 2 plates cost about $1. Not bad!
- Clean squid tubes and dry with paper towels/napkins.
- Put in a shallow bowl and paprika, salt and pepper generously. Add about a tablespoon of flour for each tube. Mix well and refridgerate until needed.
- Heat about 4cm of oil in a small pot.
- Carefully lower the squid rings with tongs. They are done after about 2 minutes. Be careful not to overcrowd them. Batches are a good idea!
I’ve read that you should drain/dry on paper towels, but there was hardly any oil excess so I just put them straight onto the salad I was serving these with.
- Zest the lemon – make about a teaspoon of the stuff and put into a small bowl.
- Add a good squeeze of lemon juice and the mayonnaise.
- You can add some fresh chopped basil basil if you feel like it too. I’m going to try this with basil tonight.
Main course: Purple mash with Tuscan smoked salmon.
I mashed 1 purple kumara with 2 potatoes. Happy with the colour this time.
Dessert: banana and cinnamon chocolate sauce on vanilla ice cream.
Ok, brown food doesn’t photograph well…
I love the contrast of hot sauce and cold, cold icecream.
- Melt 2 teaspoons of raw sugar with a touch of water in a sauce pan.
- Add chopped fruit (banana, strawberry, whatever).
- Add a handful of chocolate buttons.
- A sprinkle of cinnamon if it suits. Pour over ice cream.