- “The only reason I travel, is for an excuse to eat more than usual”.
– A Homemade Life, Molly Wizenberg
It is hard for me to pass up any chance to eat salmon. I am a salmon eating MACHINE.
We saw signs for glacial water fed salmon and I was licking my chops in anticipation. When we passed by the Mt Cook Alpine Salmon shop early on Monday morning, we had to stop. No matter that we hadn’t had breakfast yet.
On the edge of Lake Pukaki, mesmerised by the view of Mt Cook, The Koala and I enjoyed fresh salmon sashimi for breakfast.
The Koala noted how firm and dense the salmon was and a little research into the farm pleased me very much. This isn’t just any farmed salmon. It is quite possibly the best farmed salmon money can buy.
Why Mt Cook Alpine Salmon is so awesome:
- Eco-sustainably farmed
- Pure fast-flowing glacier and snow fed water from the Southern Alps of New Zealand. 1,969 feet above sea level, it is the world’s highest salmon farm
- Stationed on a hydroelectric canal between two alpine lakes, the farm harnesses continuous secondary energy. Over 2 million gallons of water a minute runs through the farm giving it the highest water flow of any salmon farm in the world
- Fit and healthy fish that swim constantly against the water flow. These are strong fish!
- Free of chemicals, heavy metals, GMO, antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, vaccines or disease (organic grade)
- Not a single fish has died from disease on this farm. Ever.
- Higher Omega 3 and less saturated fat than ocean-reared salmon
- A clean flavour and delicate taste, dense, firm flesh
- 100% of the salmon is used. There is no waste.
Mt Cook Alpine Salmon
Lake Pukaki Visitor Centre
State Highway 8
Between Tekapo – Twizel