This time next week, there will be thousands of Aucklanders feasting on street food. Here’s a little preview of what they will be shoving in their pie holes…
Graze and Feast will be held every Friday in July from 5pm at Shed 10 on Queen’s Wharf. Opening night is Friday 3 July. Entry is free and dishes range from $5 to $14. If you’re going, make sure you also check out my first post for everything you need to know about Graze and Feast.
Ryan’s Kitchen, Brooklyn Dogs, Ekhaya, Dixie Barbecue, Banger Boys, Langos Hungarian Bread, Al’s Deli, Goodnight, Tiger Burger, Little Nomadic Kitchen, Love Bites, La Olivia, The Carvery, Go Go Mexican, Missoni Pizza, Siri Sri Lankan plus a few more.
Follow their Facebook page for updates.
“A gathering of Auckland’s best street foods including wood fired pizza, burgers, tacos, paella, bunny chow, Caesar salad, sirloin roll, pasties, American BBQ, patatas bravas, creme brûlée, ice cream, desserts.”
Unlike most, I actually know what bunny chow is, though I’ve never tried it. A friend of mine living in Australia posted (via snail mail) a clipped magazine article about bunny chow (yes, I realise how terribly dated that sentence sounds). Bunny chow is a dish originating from South African which consists of a hollowed out loaf of bread filled with curry. The portable edible curry bowl may have originated in the 1940s with migrant Indian workers in the sugar cane fields. Bunny chow was originally vegetarian but now meat curries are also used. At no time has rabbit meat been used in bunny chow.
Here’s just a few things you can expect to eat at Graze and Feast:
Little Nomadic Kitchen serves up clean eating, paleo, vegetarian, vegan, grain free, dairy free and sugar free options. Everything is made from scratch by chef Shanah Collins. Outside of Graze and Feast, you can find Little Nomadic Kitchen at Coatesville Market.
Little Nomadic Kitchen Menu:
- 24 hour braised BBQ Korean beef sliders w pickled purple cabbage, sesame and green onion $12
- The Cuban Chicken, marinated chicken, orange and chilli cauliflower cous cous, mango salsa, and pickled pink onions $12
- The Buddha Bowl, roast kumara, saffron cauliflower rice, grated beets, sprouts, cashew feta and toasted seeds $12
- Coconut water jelly with chia, strawberry and mango $6
- Avocado chocolate mousse with raspberry chia couli $6
- Apple and vanilla bean kefir $6.5
- Raw/Paleo/clean brownies, slices, and sweet bites. All priced under $6.
Al’s Deli is one of my favourite spots to eat at in Auckland city. Aleks is bringing his Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker to Graze and Feast and an extra special menu. Expect a feast of charcoal BBQ goodness. Everything made from scratch including cheesecake, doughnuts and old fashioned softdrinks.
Al’s Deli BBQ Menu:
- Charcoal grilled hickory smoked pomegranate BBQ ribs
Pulled pork on homemade brioche with BBQ sauce and cheese
- Tacos: pulled pork or free-range achiote with garlic & lemon marinated chicken, tomatillo, avocado salsa, sour cream, fresh lime and cheese
- Al burger: 100% Angus beef, onion, lettuce, tomato, cheese, special sauce
- The 911 burger: 100% Angus beef, mac and cheese, caramelised onion, bacon, white truffle
- Achiote & lemon free-range chicken, caramelised onions, tomatillo & avocado salsa
- Al dog: Montreal-style gourmet dog with gherkin relish, french’s mustard and Montreal slaw on a brioche roll
- Montreal cheesecake
- Homemade doughnuts
- Homemade sodas: cream soda, root beer, and black cherry vanilla
You may have seen Tiger Burger at Silo Park Markets or Glenfield Night Markets serving up their brand of Korean-inspired burgers.
Tiger Burger Menu:
- Galbi beef burger
- Spicy pulled pork and kimchi burger
- Crispy fries
- Kimchi fries (hand cut and topped with grated Colby and kimchi)
Brooklyn Dogs NZ serving up free-range hot dogs on freshly baked certified organic buns.
Brooklyn Dogs NZ Menu:
- The Brooklyn Classic: Free-range pork shoulder with prime beef, dried herbs, and our secret selection of spices $8
- The Ground Hog: Free-range pork shoulder infused with cayenne pepper, and a selection of fresh herbs and spices $8
Ekhaya are new food truck based out of Taupo. Their menu is eclectic with a modern twist.
- Bunny Chow (traditional South African curry) in a hollowed out bun and raita
- Honey and Soy pulled pork soft taco with apple slaw and sesame aioli
- Citrus cured salmon with soy pearls and picked vege
- Hummus duo. Carrot and Cumin hummus and beetroot hummus with flat bread and rosemary oil
Langos Hungarian Bread have a decade of business behind them giving them legendary status in the NZ festival and street food circuit. A traditional street food from Budapest, these deep fried bread puffs are cooked to order with a range of toppings.
Langos Hungarian Bread Menu:
- Watercress and walnut pesto
- Feta and tomato salad
- Jalapeño and herb harissa
- Cinnamon and sugar topped with chocolate sauce, banana, jam or cream
Ryan’s Kitchen has a rich family history of produce in New Zealand. A trained chef, Ryan combines fresh ingredients and often encourages others to get involved with cooking.
Ryan’s Kitchen Menu:
- Pulled pork sliders with BBQ sauce and coleslaw
- Panko crumbed chicken and bacon Caesar salad with cos and kale
- Flame grilled chicken slider
- Eton mess
- Hot ginger chocolate
- Peach mint cooler
Dixie Barbecue are based in Auckland and specialise in American style barbecue from “The Barbecue Belt” of the US. Their menu includes various barbecue meats, classic barbecue sides and their own home made sauces, rubs and pickles. Dixie sauces include Kansas Barbecue, Lexington Vinegar and South Carolina Mustard. Their ketchup (for the fries) is home made too. All dishes come with coleslaw, bread ’n’ butter pickles & pickled red onion.
Dixie Barbecue Menu:
- Georgia pulled pork or Texan beef brisket on a brioche bun
- ‘Just the meat’ 14hr pulled pork & 9hr brisket ‘plates’
- Memphis Pork spare Ribs and Texan beef ribs
Lovebites is Ellenette Nusbaum who is based in Ponsonby. Specialising in lush decorative desserts and haute cakes.
Lovebites Cakes Menu:
- Torta del Diablo with 72% dark Whittakers chocolate
- Black Forest soaked with Kirsch, creamed icing, dark ganache and Morello cherries
- El Diablo Blanco with Whittakers white chocolate
- Coconut Banana Cake with coconut cream, Whittakers chunks and spiced to perfection. Topped with coconut buttercream and salted caramel sauce
- Classic Victoria Sponge with whipped cream or Swiss meringue, layered with seasonal fruit.
- New York Baked Cheesecake topped with blueberry compote
- Mississippi Mud Pie with Whittakers dark chocolate baked in an Oreo crust and topped with chocolate mousse then smothered in Ganache
- Maple Apple Pie Made with fresh apples
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Pie a classic American favourite with Morello cherries
- Peanut Truffle Cupcake rimmed in Whittakers dark ganache & crushed peanuts, topped w caramel buttercream and crowned w a peanut covered chocolate truffle
- Citrus Cupcake with cream cheese icing
- The Best Ever Fudge Brownies made with 72% Dark Whittakers Chocolate
….plus many more!
Note to self, don’t compile a crazy delicious post about food on an empty stomach…