The Honesty Box delivers again!
We’re most excited about the two tamarillo and two portobello. The Koala ate a tamarillo (ahem, his tamarillo) immediately after I took this photo.
Quite likely, he’ start eyeing up my tamarillo and I’ll either split it with him or let him have it. I am an older sister and he is a younger brother and it was like that in both our families. The Koala’s big brother and I would save and The Koala and my little sister would feast. Then start eyeing up their older sibling’s uneaten bounty. Was it like that in your family?
Tamarillo are still a like bit finger guts to me, but I admit the intense savoury flavour is exciting and unique. They’re still too rare for me to to cook with but I’ll work up to that when the novelty wears off.
Feijoa season is intense and short here in Auckland. Our landlord had our feijoa tree removed (for reasons that baffle me). So we’re grateful for any feijoa that come our way. For those who have never had the delight of a fejioa, they are a tart, perfumey guava that are great “au natural” and also great in banana feijoa muffins. Just substitute 1 banana for the same quantity of feijoa pulp.
Bosc pears go great with parmesan (well actually, Parmigiano-Reggiano).
Meaty portobellos will receive the honour of melted cheese.
Here’s a guide to what we’re eating this week:
- Avocado and parmesan on toast
- Turmeric and coriander scrambled eggs with tomato, cheese and spinach
- French toast with banana and maple syrup (optional: bacon)
- Hash brown with fried egg and avocado (optional: more bacon)
- Banana, chia and yogurt smoothie
- Mixed salad with pear and parmesan
- Baby spinach, roast pepper, garlic and quinoa
- Potato salad with egg, spring onion, sundried tomatoes and mustard mayo
- Cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches
- Miso vegetable stir-fry with and rice noodles
- Cottage pie with mince, carrot, mushrooms, onion and garlic topped with kumara mash, parsley and golden cheese
- Grilled portobello topped with melted cheese served with roast capsicum and mash
- Lemon honey chicken with garlic herb broccoli and coriander rice
- Pulled pork with buns/tortillas, cauliflower gratin, coriander and coleslaw
- Herb and garlic meatballs in chunky tomato onion sauce on spaghetti